- 1 What is the longest running musical ever?
- 2 Is cats the longest running musical?
- 3 What is the number one screen to stage?
- 4 What is considered the best musical of all time?
- 5 What is the best Sondheim musical?
- 6 What is the most played song ever?
- 7 Which is the best musical?
- 8 What is the most expensive Broadway show?
- 9 What does Jellicle?
- 10 What’s the point of Cats the musical?
- 11 What is the point of Cats the musical?
What is the longest running musical ever?
The Phantom of the Opera The longest-running show in Broadway history officially opened on January 26, 1988 and is still playing at the Majestic The Andrew Lloyd Webber musical won 7 1988 Tony Awards® including Best Musical.
Is cats the longest running musical?
CATS, one of the longest-running shows in West End and Broadway history, received its world premiere at the New London Theatre in 1981 where it played for 21 record-breaking years and almost 9,000 performances. The ground-breaking production was the winner of the Olivier and Evening Standard Awards for Best Musical.
What is the number one screen to stage?
1. West Side Story (1961)
What is considered the best musical of all time?
Readers’ Poll: The 10 Best Musicals of All Time
- ‘West Side Story’ The passion and rebellion of West Side Story still lingers today.
- ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’
- ‘Les Misérables’
- ‘The Rocky Horror Show’
What is the best Sondheim musical?
A Definitive Ranking of Musicals by Stephen Sondheim, by Someone with a Degree in Theater and Too Much Time on His Hands
- Sunday in the Park with George.
- Sweeney Todd.
- Into the Woods.
- A Little Night Music.
- Pacific Overtures.
- Anyone Can Whistle.
What is the most played song ever?
According to this list, “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” is the most played song, with 8 million airs. Only includes songs with 3 million + airs. This same list appears at ClassicBands.com. The article reports that Sting received a BMI Award for “Every Breath You Take” piling up more than 15 million radio plays.
Which is the best musical?
What’s the best musical of all time?
- Les Miserables.
- The Phantom of the Opera.
- Sweeney Todd.
- A Chorus Line.
- Into the Woods.
- West Side Story.
What is the most expensive Broadway show?
Most Expensive Broadway Musicals
- Shrek- The Musical- $27.6 million:
- Lion King: $27.5 million:
- Beauty and the Beast: $17.4 million.
- Wicked- $16.9 million:
- The Little Mermaid: $16.6 million.
- Tarzan: $16 million.
- Dance of the Vampires: $15.2 million.
- The Phantom of the Opera: $14.2 million.
What does Jellicle?
What is a Jellicle? I’m scared. Easy: A Jellicle is a cat. Specifically, a scruffy type of cat that was first introduced in T. S. Eliot’s Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats (a book of poetry originally published in 1939 that inspired the musical).
What’s the point of Cats the musical?
It tells the story of a tribe of cats called the Jellicles and the night they make the “Jellicle choice” by deciding which cat will ascend to the Heaviside layer and come back to a new life. The musical includes the well-known song “Memory” as sung by Grizabella.
What is the point of Cats the musical?
The show basically involves a feline competition to decide which cat will be “reborn” to go the “Heaviside Layer,” otherwise known as cat heaven. Andrew Lloyd Webber, Elaine Paige, and Paul Nicholas at the opening night party for Cats in 1981. In 2016, Cats came back to Broadway.